Email Account – Definition, and What is the Best Free Account?
Email Account Definition
The email account on a global scale already exceeds the not inconsiderable figure of 2 billion. Digital communication is an intrinsic part of our daily lives in an era dominated by instant messaging, social networks, and video telephony.
Given the triumphant email race, it is not surprising to find many free email providers. An email account is that sending and receiving emails does not have to cost money.
What is the Best Free Email Account?
It providers offer the most storage space or the highest levels of security. In addition to the three major international providers, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook, we have included GMX, Zoho Mail, and Proton Mail in our selection.
1. Gmail is the Best Email Account
- Gmail, the free mail service launched by Google in 2004, was a before and after in the sector, among other reasons because the provider offered users a storage capacity of 1 GB.
- It kicked off a competition to offer the enormous storage volume that has yet to end, thus becoming a decisive factor since Gmail’s entry into the market.
- It has led to more and more free email providers integrating and mailboxes with higher capacity, cloud storage services.
- Gmail currently offers a total volume of 15 GB of memory for Google Gmail, Drive, and Photos services.
- The offer is also more generous in terms of the attachments’ size, which amounts to 25 MB.
Gmail Home Page
- Gmail Homepage (source: https://www.google.com/intl/es/gmail/about/)
- Regarding ease of use and its service design, Gmail has bet its launch by an interface based on the browser.
- It orients to installable mail clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird, which was also a revolution in 2004.
- Today the interface can be customized, for example, by adding photos to the design. The tabs can also modify, as well as the size of some elements.
- Another advantage of Gmail lies in its perfect integration into the Google universe, together with Google Drive.
- It can use Google Hangouts from the mail to chat or make a video call with up to 10 people, and on any device, it is a significant point in favor.
- Let’s not forget that the free mail service can also use as an app for mobile terminals with Android and iOS systems, where you can access the inbox with the POP3 or IMAP protocols.
- Despite its advantages, Gmail also has some drawbacks, especially regarding data protection: Google continues to criticize for data protection policies due to alleged irregularities in its guidelines. And that user emails scan base on certain words.
- It is how spam identifies or personalized advertising can display.
- 15 GB of storage;
- Integration in the Google ecosystem;
- Numerous adjustment and customization possibilities;
- Clear and intuitive user interface;
- Apps for Android and Ios.
- European data protection does not apply (emails scan to offer personalized advertising);
- It is not known for sure where the servers locate.
2. Yahoo Mail
- Yahoo Mail or Yahoo Mail is also betting, like Gmail, on a greater storage capacity, although in this case, the user offers a record volume of 1000 GB (1 TB).
- However, the other side of the coin is that the service lacks cloud storage options, possible only through external services such as Dropbox or Google Drive as long as you have an account with these providers.
- In 2017, the company presented, with Yahoo Mail Pro, a paid alternative to the basic version that, among other things, is distinguished by an ad-free interface and priority customer service.
Yahoo Mail Home Page
- Yahoo Mail home page (source: https://es.mail.yahoo.com/)
- It offers many customization options: the layout, classification, and preview of messages and the inbox layout can modify.
- In addition to other features such as the messaging service, applications for iOS and Android or POP3 and IMAP queries, the service also has a spam filter capable of learning that, according to the company, would block “more than 15 thousand millions of junk emails a day”.
- With Yahoo Mail, you can also create so-called disposable email addresses, a preventive measure that consists of creating email addresses for exclusive use in online stores, distribution lists, or forums, thus avoiding real email addresses.
- When they no longer need it, they can easily remove it. It reduces, for example, the inflow of spam.
- For the transmission of emails between the browser and the Yahoo server, the free email provider uses SSL / TLS encryption.
- 1 TB of storage;
- Disposable addresses can create;
- Antispam filter;
- And also, Apps for Android and iOS.
- You can only use cloud storage via Dropbox or Google Drive;
- It is not subject to the European Data Protection Regulation: the content of the emails analyze for advertising purposes;
- It is unknown where the servers locate.
- The name “Outlook” use for a long time to refer to the Personal Information Manager (PIM) or personal information manager developed by Microsoft that is part of the Microsoft Office package.
- But since early 2013, the similarly named webmail service Outlook.com has replaced Hotmail, Microsoft’s previous free email service.
- And with it, the company aims to become a high-ranking competitor to Microsoft. Other mail providers, such as Yahoo or Google.
- Outlook’s first and most crucial advantage of its perfect integration into the Microsoft ecosystem is registering on the platform.
- You have access to other computer giant services, such as the video call and chat service Skype, the program of OneDrive storage, Office Online suite, or OneNote app.
- Thanks to the interfaces to Office, Outlook is suitable for complex work environments and stands out for having an intuitive and familiar user interface.
- As soon as to the storage, Outlook.com is no behind Gmail: at 15 GB, the service is not short on space to store messages.
- It also offers another 5 GB in its own OneDrive cloud solution for all types of files. Attachments here can reach a size of up to 25 MB.
Outlook Home Page
- Outlook.com home page (source: https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/outlook-com/)
- It is also efficient that Outlook, like Gmail and Yahoo Mail, allows using the POP3 and IMAP protocols when opening emails.
- Thus, for example, you can synchronize the inbox on mobile devices. There are also applications for all the most common mobile terminals.
- In Outlook.com, everything is free, but there is also the possibility of switching to a Premium version, in which case no advertising display in the web interface.
- We do not use what you can say in emails, chat, video calls, voicemail, or in your documents, photos, or other private files to target ads to you. “
- However, the servers’ geographical location is somewhat uncertain: like the two previous free email providers.
- Microsoft has its servers distributed worldwide, so figuring out where the data locate is just as tricky as in the world. Case of Google and Yahoo.
- 15 GB of storage;
- 5 GB of OneDrive storage;
- Clear and simple design;
- Interfaces to Office, perfect integration into the Microsoft ecosystem;
- And also Android and iOS apps.
- Since Microsoft base in the US, it is not subject to GDPR;
- It is not known for sure where the servers are.
- GMX is a top-rated free email service in Germany, where it was founded in 1997 by United Internet AG.
- Today, thanks to its users spread all over the globe. It has become one of the crucial providers of free email worldwide.
- This rise has to do (which leads us to name its first strong point) with the impulse that GMX gave, as a founding partner of the quality seal “Email made in Germany.”
- The safe treatment of data according to German regulations and European as the emails sent to GMX servers.
- SSL / TLS always encrypts the data exchange between the servers and the different providers involved in the initiative.
- With GMX, the inbox has a storage capacity of up to 65 GB, and files can organize anywhere using efficient security systems.
- For attachments, GMX allows branches to be up to 50GB in size so users can enjoy the service without restriction — no need to compress files anymore.
- On its own Cloud GMX cloud service, you can store up to 2GB of files. Also, here, the files are protected by European regulations.
- GMX also offers apps for Android and iOS. Thanks to them, the service allows you to consult all messages at any time and anywhere.
- We must also not forget the integrated antispam tools with which the service can use without fear of possible threats.
GMX Home Page
- GMX home page (source: https://www.gmx.es/mail/campaign/1623154.html)
- The GMX interface design in blue, but alternative layouts can be selected and saved in the settings.
- Navigation does through the menus located both at the top and on the left.
- The top bar allows you to quickly switch between the different mailboxes, the Cloud, the calendar, or the contact list.
- The bar on the left contains advertisements or links to other GMX products with which it finance—the free email service.
- Servers in Germany;
- Unlimited storage and 50 GB for attachments;
- Cloud storage up to 2GB;
- Android and iOS apps;
- And also, Zoho Mail.
- Confusing interface;
- Service not yet well known internationally.
5. Zoho Mail
- Our penultimate proposal to create free email accounts is Zoho Mail. This service is characterized by its versatility, in a sense.
- It offers the possibility of creating a personal and professional email account for free while synchronizing with other office applications and business management.
- Zoho stands out for a straightforward and familiar interface that allows intuitive service use, making it suitable for any user.
- Like other services, emails can classify using multi-level folders, which provides a more organized structure and better viewing of folders.
- The free version offers 5GB of space and 20GB for attachments when it comes to storage.
- With the Premium version, the memory amounts to 50 GB of memory, plus 40 GB for attachments.
- In the Workplace versions, the conditions adjust to small businesses’ needs with a more excellent range of options.
- It improves user navigation through the platform. Files can drag in Zoho to attach them to messages and move in the same way to their corresponding folders.
- The application also has a filter system to configure the classification of incoming messages in folders.
- It also allows you to nest emails if there is a thread with several responses so that user interaction can follow in an orderly manner.
Zoho Home Page
- The email account Zoho Home Page (Source: https://www.zoho.eu/mail/)
- The Zoho Mail application makes it possible to access messages anywhere and from any device, Android and iOS mobile devices, or locally through the POP or IMAP protocols.
- Something very striking when it comes to security is that Zoho offers the possibility of controlling and managing.
- It’s initiative the rules and policies that must apply to the incoming and outgoing emails.
- Also, anything scans for viruses, so your inbox is always kept clean.
- On a more professional level, Zoho integrates other applications such as calendars, notes, and contact lists.
- It allowed you to create groups, choose moderators, manage memberships, or install applications to create presentations or the necessary documents on a day-to-day basis.
- A great advantage for small entrepreneurs is that, along with integrating in-house applications such as Zoho CRM, Creator, Projects, and Docs, it also connects with external applications such as Zapier.
- Clear and well-structured interface;
- Versatile service: for both professionals and individuals;
- Possibility of adding numerous apps;
- And also, Android and iOS apps;
- An email with its domain.
- Low storage capacity;
- Only it has 20 GB for attachments in the basic version.
6. Proton Mail
- Don’t expect a flashy design or great storage options at Proton Mail because the Swiss app focuses on protecting your privacy.
- With a data protection regulation that exceeds the European RGPD, the federation is increasingly clear about its future on the continent.
- Email account serves as the main square for the data centers of the largest possible number of companies around the globe.
- The ” Data 100% saved in Switzerland ” seal is on its way to becoming a guarantee of safety and quality.
- Hence, we have left space to mention this free email proposal that, without much fuss, guarantees that your data will not leave Switzerland.
- Founded in 2013 by a group of scientists with the dream of a safer Internet, today the application manages, to the support of more than ten thousand fans, to bring together a community of millions of users.
- From its headquarters in Geneva and a data center deep in the mountain, Proton Mail engineers and developers have created what is perhaps the most secure free email account application today.
- Let’s summarize its most essential functions. Its design is clear and intuitive and base on a muted palette. What for some will be boring, for others it will be cause for joy.
- It is compatible with any other email provider, and its source is open. The messages are end-to-end encrypted, preventing access by third parties (companies or government agencies).
- That said, it remains to comment on its limitations. The free version only stores up to 500MB, and its use restricts to 150 messages per day.
- The Plus option, for a fee, expands the space to 5 GB of memory and a thousand messages a day and adds an automatic reply and a custom domain.
- Clear and simple interface
- End-to-end encryption
- Swiss data protection
- Servers in Switzerland
- And also, Android and iOS apps
- And also, minimal storage;
- It reduced the number of emails per day.
- MORE INFO:- itechhit